Sunday 6 July 2014

Molten chocolate deliciousness

I happen to like chocolate. No, not like it, more like love it. So the following recipe is for those who are like me and can’t get through weekends without a good chocolate-y dessert.

Molten lava cake. It was a something I was always intrigued by, but I haven’t tried it, because… well, it’s whole point is to be a tad under baked, and I don’t like under baked things. But today I gave in. I made my first ever lava cake.


And boy I was wrong. It’s the best under baked thing ever. It’s indulgent, decadent, causes instant diabetes, and it’s really easy to over bake. (And I should know it: I left it in the oven for two more minutes and it almost stopped being molten.)

If done right, it has this lovely, brownie-like fudginess, and the smell. Oh, the smell of cooking chocolate! You know what I’m talking about, right?

The next recipe is from Byron Talbott. In his recipe, he’s using two big ramekins, but I’ve found that this dessert is insanely chocolate-y, so I was glad I had four smaller ramekins. They’re more manageable portions, and even this way I had to drink two mugs of milk while eating the cake. So next time I may add something to cut through the richness of the chocolate, like some mint. I’ll be sure to let you know about the developments.


Molten lava cake

226 g of dark chocolate (60-70% is about right)
3 eggs
113 g of butter
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
some more sugar and butter for your ramekins

1. Preheat your oven to 204°C or 400°F. Melt your chocolate over a bain-marie. Make sure it’s properly melted and that it cools down a bit before adding it to the rest of the ingredients.

2. Whisk together your butter and sugar, until fluffy.

3. Add your eggs, only one at a time. Incorporate them well, before adding the next.

4. Add your flour to the mixture, in smaller quantities.

5. Add your melted chocolate to the other ingredients.

6. Butter and coat the inside of your ramekins with sugar. Then fill up your ramekins. I filled them up to the top, but I have smaller ones, so you might not want to follow my example with bigger moulds. If you have bigger ones, ½ of their height will be okay, I think.

7. Bake your cakes for 10-15 minutes in the oven. Take them out and wait for them to cool down a bit before running a knife around the sides of the ramekins and turning your cakes out. Eat them right away. If you wait until they’re perfectly cool, their insides won’t be oozy. (At least they weren’t for me when I took these photos.)


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment