Sunday 30 March 2014

Curd cheese return

Hi, everyone! So, after months and months of hiatus I guess it’s time for a new post. I have been away for too long, and it has been a time filled great things, like a birthday, a new translating job, new friends and a newly found passion for food magazines and baking. (Although it’s gotten a bit obsessive – I have way too many kitchenware for the size of our cupboards.)

During these months cooking and baking has taken a back seat, mainly because I didn’t have the time and energy too cook on weekdays. But I’ve certainly tried a couple of recipes, one of which I’m going to share with you now.

This is a family recipe, it doesn’t even have a real name, but I’m sure every family in Hungary has their own version of it. It takes less time to make it than to read through my instructions.

Bun filled with curd cheese

Ingredients:
4-5 buns
250 g curd cheese or ricotta
50 g raisins (optional)
1 egg
zest of a lemon
sugar – to taste

1. First, scalp your buns so that you can scrape out their insides. You should only cut the top of them off.

2. Mix the shredded insides of your buns, the curd cheese (I find that it has more flavour than ricotta, which in this case results in a better tasting dessert, so use curd cheese if possible), the egg, the raisins, the lemon zest and the sugar thoroughly.

3. Fill your buns with the curd cheese mixture and put their tops back on.

4. Line them on a baking tray (or in my case: in a cake tin) and bake them on about 200°C / 400°F for about 20-30 minutes.

5. Take them out and let them cool completely. Then eat them with your mouth.

And now a few tips. It’s okay to use stale buns. The important thing is to cook the filling through – you don’t want to eat raw egg. And you might get better looking buns if you steep them a little bit in milk, because they will brown really nicely, but don’t let them get soaking wet otherwise they’ll just fall apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment